Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tr89
Returning Member

Hello, I switched from Turbo Tax online to the downloaded version this year. How do I ensure my depreciated rental unit costs get captured in my 2019 taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Hello, I switched from Turbo Tax online to the downloaded version this year. How do I ensure my depreciated rental unit costs get captured in my 2019 taxes?

go back to TurboTax Online and download your 2018 tax return as a file to your computer.

Then import that when you begin your 2019 tax return.

Carl
Level 15

Make sure you download the .tax2018 file and not the PDF file. Place that .tax2018 file in the documents/turbotax directory and the 2019 program will then be able to import from it.

If you try importing from the 2018 PDF file you will ***NOT*** inport *ANY* carry over or depreciation data from the previous year.

Carl
Level 15

If I recall correctly, and I may not, I think you will need to start your 2019 tax return with the online version. Then after you've imported the 2018 data into that 2019 tax file, download that .tax2019 file to your computer, place it in the documents\turbotax directory, and then you can open it with the desktop version of TurboTax 2019.

Understand this:

If you use the online version of Self-Employed to start your tax return, then you "MAY" have to purchase/use the desktop Home & Business version to open the file. Depending on your data, you may not be able to open a tax file created with self-employed, with a desktop version that is lower than Home & Business.

Now I don't know this for a fact. Just giving you a heads up so that you can check that what you expect to be imported, is "in fact" imported.

Tr89
Returning Member

Hi, thank you for your help.  I just downloaded the .tax2018 file to my mac computer.  Is there a way to replace the 2018 pdf file that I previously uploaded to the desktop program with the .tax 2018 file?  I all sections of my federal return except for the rental unit depreciation information before I ran into the depreciation issue.  I would like to avoid having to redo the entire return if possible.  Thank you.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies