Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening NOW!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Recaptured depreciation of former rental home (from rental home to principal residence)

Say I have a rental house that I've depreciated.  I understand rental depreciation recapture.  But I don't understand whether this rental depreciation recapture goes away after you make the rental home into your principal residence (and live there for at least 2 years out of five to take advantage of the homeowner's exclusion tax break) and then decide to sell it.

Can you avoid paying tax on the recaptured depreciation?  My instinct says no, you cannot avoid this tax, just by living in a formerly rented home, as your present principal residence, and then selling that home.  Otherwise people would do this all the time and this loophole would be well known.  But I rather hear it from somebody here.

Thank you.

Other posts researched:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/selling-a-rental-depr...

Recaptured depreciation is tax as ordinary income on this year's (the year the depreciation is re-captured) return, at whatever tax bracket you are in for that same year.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Recaptured depreciation of former rental home (from rental home to principal residence)

@NewUserNov2020 wrote:

Can you avoid paying tax on the recaptured depreciation?  My instinct says no....

Your intuition is correct; you cannot avoid depreciation recapture regardless of how long you use the home as your principal residence (accumulated depreciation does, however, disappear if you die holding the property).

View solution in original post

1 Reply

@NewUserNov2020 wrote:

Can you avoid paying tax on the recaptured depreciation?  My instinct says no....

Your intuition is correct; you cannot avoid depreciation recapture regardless of how long you use the home as your principal residence (accumulated depreciation does, however, disappear if you die holding the property).

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies