Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Gift of Equity To Family Member Tax Question

In January 2018, I purchased a single-family residence for my son and his family to live in.  I put 10% down and took a mortgage for the rest.  My son rented from me at a Fair Rental Value and I reported it as rental income using Schedule E, claiming depreciation.   In late 2020, my son purchased the home under an arrangement where I gifted the equity and he borrowed enough for me to pay off the existing loan and closing costs.   The Mortgage company issued me a 1099 S for $465,000, an amount approximate to the value of the home (to facilitate his borrowing).  They also had me sign a Gift Equity Letter in the amount of $107,000, which was credited to the Buyer (my son) at closing.  How do I report this using Turbo Tax? Is it reported on Form 4797?   One concern is whether the gross sales price needs to be $465,000 so that IRS can link up the 1099 S.  Or, can I net the gift of equity against it.  

Some have advised reporting this using Form 8949.  I feel like I am in the swamp on this one.  

I know that I also need to report the Gift of Equity on Form 709.  

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Gift of Equity To Family Member Tax Question

You will enter the sale of the rental property following these steps in TurboTax:

• Search for rental property, then jump to rental property
  • Fill in the information un til the screen:  Tell us about the situation this year and pick sold or disposed of property
  • At the screen What expenses and assets did you have for jones?  Select Sold Rental property
  • Continue with income and expense for 2020

Then search for sale of business property and enter the sale and the expenses of the sale.

You can e-file your return, but you must prepare and file Form 709 separately.  TurboTax does not support Form 709.

IRS Form 709

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies