For my rental property, my net income is in the negative, is this normal? This is my first rental and didn't rent till last week of Dec of 2017.

ToddL

It is common to show a net loss on rental property, even if you have a positive cash flow

Many of your rental expenses are fixed monthly or annual costs (e.g. mortgage interest, insurance, depreciation, etc.); if you only had one week of rental income, a loss would likely be expected.

Even when your cash flow is positive, you can also show a rental loss on your tax return. The reason for this is depreciation expense. You get a deduction for depreciation even though it isn't a cash expense. The more valuable the property is, the larger the depreciation expense will be.