Solved: Does turbotax adjust my rental property expenses for the percentage used for rental vs personal use? Or do I input only the rental portion of those expenses?
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Does turbotax adjust my rental property expenses for the percentage used for rental vs personal use? Or do I input only the rental portion of those expenses?

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 2

Does turbotax adjust my rental property expenses for the percentage used for rental vs personal use? Or do I input only the rental portion of those expenses?

Yes, Turbotax adjusts the expenses.  You do not only enter the rental portion under Rental.  

You will enter the full-year amount of both your property taxes and mortgage interest under the rental expenses section.  The program will perform the pro-ration and allocates the expenses between Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for itemized deductions based on how many days the property is used for business (rental). 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Highlighted
Level 2

Yes, Turbotax adjusts the expenses.  You do not only enter the rental portion under Rental.  

You will enter the full-year amount of both your property taxes and mortgage interest under the rental expenses section.  The program will perform the pro-ration and allocates the expenses between Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for itemized deductions based on how many days the property is used for business (rental). 

View solution in original post

v
Privacy Settings