turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Does turbotax adjust my rental property expenses for the percentage used for rental vs personal use? Or do I input only the rental portion of those expenses?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Does turbotax adjust my rental property expenses for the percentage used for rental vs personal use? Or do I input only the rental portion of those expenses?

Yes, Turbotax adjusts the expenses.  You do not only enter the rental portion under Rental.  

You will enter the full-year amount of both your property taxes and mortgage interest under the rental expenses section.  The program will perform the pro-ration and allocates the expenses between Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for itemized deductions based on how many days the property is used for business (rental). 

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LinaJ2018
Intuit Alumni

Yes, Turbotax adjusts the expenses.  You do not only enter the rental portion under Rental.  

You will enter the full-year amount of both your property taxes and mortgage interest under the rental expenses section.  The program will perform the pro-ration and allocates the expenses between Schedule E for rental and Schedule A for itemized deductions based on how many days the property is used for business (rental). 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies