Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I still need to change my state of residence if I'm currently renting an apartment in a different state but haven't permanently relocated there?

I moved at the end of 2023 to a new state. I'm currently renting and living in an apartment, but I'm not permanently relocating (temporary). Does this mean that I need to change my current state of residence for my forms?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Do I still need to change my state of residence if I'm currently renting an apartment in a different state but haven't permanently relocated there?

When you prepare your tax returns you need to use the mailing address where you want the IRS or state to mail you a letter or a check.   You have not mentioned what state you moved from or where you are now.   If you worked in the new state, then you will need to file a part-year return for that state, and a part-year return for your old state if you worked in the old state before the move.   However, it would be helpful to us to know what states are involved, since some states have reciprocal agreements with each other.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies