Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

kenyaboy

Do I need 1099 for work done on my rental property?

First year rental on my house that I own and manage. Do I need to do 1099 for work done by contractors over $600?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

No, See Small Landlords Not Required To File Form 1099

See http://www.auburnmainecpa.com/1099s-required-small-landlords/

Is this still applicable in 2020 with the 1099-NEC? If someone had a rental property that was prepped to sell and paid someone (non-business) over $600, does a 1099-NEC need to be mailed? 

Are there any IRS document links that point to the exception for 'small landlords' ?

On September 27, 2010 the Small Business Jobs Act (the, “Act”) was signed into law. There is a little known provision in the Act which may have escaped the notice of taxpayers who own rental property, but which will affect them starting in January, 2011.

The Act subjects recipients of rental income from real estate to the same information-reporting requirements as taxpayers engaged in a trade or business. As a result, landlords making payments of $600 or more to service providers who are not incorporated (e. g. maintenance workers, plumbers, electricians, accountants) for rental property services provided to the landlord are required to provide an information return (typically, Form 1099 – MISC, Miscellaneous Income - Now form 1099-NEC) to the service provider and the IRS. (Note that the requirement will apply to ALL recipients of payments over $600 (whether incorporated or not) starting in 2012.) The IRS has the power to assess penalties for each failure to file or late filing of a required 1099, with penalty amounts varying depending on the nature of the delinquency or failure to file.

you own rental real estate so you should start planning for compliance by tracking payments made for services and by obtaining a taxpayer identification number from service providers which will be needed for preparation of 1099 forms after the end of the tax year. 1099 reporting requirements contain exceptions for individuals temporarily renting their principal residence, to taxpayers whose rental income does not exceed an IRS-determined, minimal amount (yet to be announced) and to those “for whom the reporting requirement would create a hardship”. The IRS typically interprets such exceptions narrowly. i could not find where the IRS specified a minimal amount. it is certainly not in the 1099-nec instructions see below

Specific Instructions for Form 1099-NEC
File Form 1099-NEC, Nonemployee Compensation (NEC), for each person in the course of your business to whom you have paid the following during the year:

At least $600 in:

Services performed by someone who is not your employee (including parts and materials) (box 1);
Cash payments for fish (or other aquatic life) you purchase from anyone engaged in the trade or business of catching fish (box 1); or
Payments to an attorney (box 1). (See Payments to attorneys, later.)

You must also file Form 1099-NEC for each person from whom you have withheld any federal income tax (report in box 4) under the backup withholding rules regardless of the amount of the payment.

Be sure to report each payment in the proper box because the IRS uses this information to determine whether the recipient has properly reported the payment.

Trade or business reporting only. Report on Form 1099-NEC only when payments are made in the course of your trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable. You are engaged in a trade or business if you operate for gain or profit
Exceptions. Some payments do not have to be reported on Form 1099-NEC, although they may be taxable to the recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-NEC is not required include all of the following.
Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S corporation). However, see Reportable payments to corporations, later.
Payments for merchandise, telegrams, telephone, freight, storage, and similar items.
Payments of rent to real estate agents or property managers. However, the real estate agent or property manager must use Form 1099-MISC to report the rent paid over to the property owner. See Regulations sections 1.6041-3(d), 1.6041-1(e)(5), Example 5, and the instructions for box 1.

There's another question you have to ask FIRST.  Is your rental property a "Business"?  Only if your rental activities "rise to the level of a business" do you need to file 1099.  

Not all rental activities are businesses.  Most owners of rental properties not engaged in other real estate do not rise to that level and do not need to file 1099 for contractor payments.  (confirmed with a turbo tax consultant/live help).  Unfortunately, Turbo Tax's automated question about 1099's is only a YES/NO question (did you pay a contractor more than $600) but should include the option "you are not engaged in a trade or business" which exempts the 1099 requirement.  Instead, the consultant advised me to select "NO" because my one rental home (which I inherited when my Dad passed and quickly rented to pay his mortgage) was not a "business", nor was I engaged in any other real estate business.  

I would never had been able to figure that out just by answer YES/NO to that question.  I did pay more than $600 to a contractor/handyman to do work in my rental but my activities did not rise to the level of a business and I did not need to file a 1099.  It took me 3 different "Turbo Tax Consultants" to figure out how to bypass it without simply "lying" and answering "NO", I didn't pay a contractor more than $600.  This needs to be fixed by Turbo Tax.

"The AICPA tried to clear up the confusion among its members with an article about 1099 requirements for rental properties and also wrote an open letter to the IRS in 2013 to express its position and request further guidance.  It is the position of the AICPA that landlords only need to file form 1099 when their rental activities rise to the level of a trade or business (Porter).  This means that most owners of rental properties who are not engage in other real estate business do not need to file 1099 forms." 

IRS.GOV

You are NOT required to file information return(s) if you are not engaged in a trade or business.

pwlankford1
Returning Member

I have received multiple  different answers to this issue. Can anyone shed some light  but with 100% accuracy. 

I have 2 rental properties as passive income. I paid several different contractors to renovate. 

Hal_Al
Level 15

You don't get 100% accuracy in an online forum. The best you can hope for is a preponderance of opinions.  And that, is still no, a landlord does not need to issue a 1099-MISC.

It became a little fuzzy under the new 2018 tax law. Landlords are, generally, still not require to issue 1099-Misc forms to service providers.

References: http://www.forbes.com/sites/irswatch/2013/03/06/should-landlords-be-filing-1099s-for-service-provide...

https://www.auburnmainecpa.com/1099s-required-small-landlords/

But, a landlord 1099-misc may be required to qualify for the QBI deduction. Reference: https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/do-landlords-need-to-file-form-1099-misc.html Most rental properties do NOT qualify for the QBI deduction. 

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/do-i-need-to-issue-a-...

See HERE  Scroll down to the section where it says "Specific Instructions for Form 1099-NEC". Included in this section, it indicates that " Report on Form 1099NEC only  when payments are made in the course of your trade or business. Personal payments are not reportable. You are engaged in a trade or business if you operate for gain or profit.  As long as the passive income is considered engaging for a trade or business inorder to operate a gain or profit, then you would typically issue a 1099NEC. No where does the publication mention that there is adifference between passive and non passive income. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Talk to a Turbo (or other) Tax consultant which is what I did.  Be sure you document the questions and tax advice in writing.  As numerous people have said, the consensus on the forum and what I was advised by a Turbo Tax Consultant for our situation (one rental property I inherited recently through probate) was that our situation did not rise to the level of a business, therefore I did not need to file 1099's.   You can determine whether your situation  rises to the level of a business through these questions here.

If it does meet the definition of "business", then no 1099's are required.

Turbo Tax Consultants:

Tax Return Lifetime Guarantee

A combination of coverage: 100% Accurate Calculations, Maximum Refund, and Audit Support Guarantees. All guaranteed for the full 7-year life of your tax return. Individual returns only. See terms of service for details.

100% Accurate Calculations Guarantee

If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, we’ll pay you the penalty and interest. Limitations apply. See Terms of Service for details.

https://turbotax.intuit.com/corp/guarantees/

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies