Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Do I enter the total utility expenses for the whole year even if I converted my rental space for personal use during the year? I am using TurboTax Premier.

I converted my rental space to personal use on July 2nd 2017 (which is approx. 6 mths. of renting for 2017). Will TurboTax Premier prorate for me and do the computation or do I need to divide the expenses in half myself? Additionally, will it figure out the property taxes and home owners insurance or do I need to divide that also?

Also, would a plumbing repair (septic tank repair) done in August be deductible? I am assuming it would not since it was done AFTER I converted the space to personal use. Just asking because the tenants could have contributed to the problem.

I used an exterminator only for the period while I was renting so I am guessing I can deduct all of those expenses - am I correct?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Do I enter the total utility expenses for the whole year even if I converted my rental space for personal use during the year? I am using TurboTax Premier.

In the final year, you are safer doing the division of expenses yourself.  Make sure you say the property was used 100% for business, meaning there was no personal use until after the conversion date. The plumbing expense is not deductible but the exterminator would be.  Property taxes you would also allocate yourself, entering the correct amount for the personal use period under Property tax in Deductions and credits.  Insurance is not deductible for personal use, so you enter that share only under rental expenses.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

In the final year, you are safer doing the division of expenses yourself.  Make sure you say the property was used 100% for business, meaning there was no personal use until after the conversion date. The plumbing expense is not deductible but the exterminator would be.  Property taxes you would also allocate yourself, entering the correct amount for the personal use period under Property tax in Deductions and credits.  Insurance is not deductible for personal use, so you enter that share only under rental expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies