turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

avoInt

Did not sell assets in my rental but Turbo Tax marked them as sold

I am preparing my 2018 tax return and I noticed that there are no depreciation coming through from one of my rental properties. I then noticed that Turbox Tax marked these assets as sold in 2017. When I tried to amend the 2017 return, I can't instruct Turbo Tax to unmark the property as sold.

Note: there is no schedule D or anything that would indicate that the property was sold. Only that it was marked as sold on the depreciation schedule.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

You might want to contact Support (link below) during regular business hours for this issue.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

Carl
Level 15

If there is no SCH D or 4979, then you didn't mark them as sold. You marked the assets as "removed for personal use". That's all one needs to do to stop depreciation on the asset(s).

Work through the rental again. About the 3rd screen in make sure you did "NOT" select the option for "I sold or disposed of this property in 2017".

Then work through each asset. You'll come to a screen that asks if you "Stopped using this asset in 2017". If you clicked YES then the next screen asks "Special Handling Required?" If you clicked YES again, then you indicated the asset was not sold, but was removed for personal use.

I guarantee you that one or both of the above are true if there's no depreciation on the asset *and* there is no SCH D or 4797 in the 2017 return.

To make the change, the ***FIRST*** thing you do is make a backup of the .tax2017 file as originally filed and accepted by the IRS.  Then (and only then) will you elect the option to amend the 2017 tax return.

You *must* get the 2017 return amended before you can even start your 2018 return. Otherwise, the information imported from the 2017 return will be incorrect.

Also note than an amended return can not be e-filed. The IRS says so. You have to print it, sign it (both the 1040 and 1040X) and mail it to the IRS.

Finally, since it is past Oct 15th, 2019 you also have no choice but to print, sign and mail your 2018 return to the IRS.

*DO* *NOT* mail your amended 2017 return and your 2018 return in the same envelope. If you do, you will find yourself in a never-ending nightmare with the IRS from which you will never awaken.

avoInt

Hey thanks to your advice I was able to track down the issue.

You were right! I marked the properties as sold.

I didn't mark the properties as sold through the data entry interface though. I would go through the interface over and over and answered "NO" to the question "Stopped Using the Property". But when I finally viewed the tax returns, I saw that the properties has a disposal date in the form called "Asset Entry Worksheet".

I now remember that TurboTax complained about my return and hastily clicked through the warnings and somehow thought I have to enter a disposal date there.....

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies