Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Depreciation Recapture with PAL - Rental Property

Hi, I'm selling a rental property with a cost basis of 390K for 400K. I have PAL of 140K which I have not been able to deduct because of my income bracket. Of those 140K in PAL, 100K is cumulative depreciation and 40K are the expenses of running the rental: HOAs, legal fees, mortgage interest, property taxes, etc. I have never been able to deduct any of the expenses on this rental

If I understand correctly on how depreciation recapture works, I will have the following computation: 10K of profit on the sale + 100K of depreciation recapture - 140K of PAL = 30K of losses I can deduct on my 2022 tax return against capital gains or carry forward for another 15 years. In my case the depreciation recapture will be a "wash" because I have never benefited from it from a Tax point of view

Am I correct? This is a qualified sale so I should be able to deduct all the losses. Thanks          

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

actually, you have a $110K gain on sale the $390k cost must be reduced by the $100K of depreciation.  of the $110k gain, $100k is taxed as depreciation recapture, and $10K is taxed as a long-term capital gain. the complete taxable disposal allows you to deduct the PAL carryforward. so in the end you are correct. you'll have $30k to offset other income.  depending on your tax bracket in the year of sale the depreciation deduction might be of benefit.  say you're in the 35% bracket. that $140K in PAL will first reduce the taxable income in that bracket and then the next lower and so on. tax on depreciation recapture - section 1250 - is a maximum of 25%.

Thanks for the detailed explanation! 

The released prior unused PAL will be reported on the Sch E  and is not part of the sale on the form 4797 or Sch D.   

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies