turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

TL3
Returning Member

Depreciation of a central AC/furnace

I am replacing AC/furnace for my rental house (built in 1997). Should I choose 7-year depreciation or 27.5? A CPA told to use 7 year. I'd like to confirm this with other CPA's in the community! Actually 27.5 years doesn't make sense since AC/furnace can't last that long.  Thanks!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If the AC unit were a removable window unit, then you could use 5 years, since the window unit could be considered an appliance.

But if the "AC/furnace" is part of the structure and is what is called "central heat and air", then the unit is part of the structure itself, and must be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Please see Table 2-1 in IRS Publication 527.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If the AC unit were a removable window unit, then you could use 5 years, since the window unit could be considered an appliance.

But if the "AC/furnace" is part of the structure and is what is called "central heat and air", then the unit is part of the structure itself, and must be depreciated over 27.5 years.

Please see Table 2-1 in IRS Publication 527.

Replaced AC Unit in Rental Property in amount of $5,500 in 2021.  How do I calculate depreciation and for how long?

Also replaced stove in Rental Property for $950.  Does this have to be depreciated or can total amount be deducted for 2021?

Carl
Level 15

Replaced AC Unit in Rental Property in amount of $5,500 in 2021. How do I calculate depreciation and for how long?

See response in this thread from @BMcCalpin 

Also replaced stove in Rental Property for $950. Does this have to be depreciated or can total amount be deducted for 2021?

The stove can be either expensed and deducted in full under Safe Harbor DiMinimis (recommended) or it gets classified as an appliance and depreciated over 5 years.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies