Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

andybanjo
Returning Member

Depreciation for rental property not being subtracted on rental property (imported from 2019)

Hi, 

For some reason TT premier online is not deducting depreciation from my rental property in 2020, despite it doing so in 2019.  I imported it from last year, and only changed the income/expenses.

It's recognizing the imported rental property as an asset and calculating the depreciation correctly under the submenu in the questionnaire, but once I click complete, and go back, there is no value next to the asset and it  doesn't subtract it from the income in the summary.  In other words, the depreciated value doesn't show up in the summary for that particular property, despite it showing up and being calculated when you click edit.

In 2019 it did it all correctly.

Some info 

Rental Property - Foreign

Asset Type - Residential Rental Real Estate

40 Year, MACRS MM, ALT

Date Started 2016

Business Use %100

Not Sold/Retired

Rented all year (366 days)

Active Participant

What am I missing or doing wrong?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Depreciation for rental property not being subtracted on rental property (imported from 2019)

Same with me.  It's not being subtracted anywhere from the total.  It doesn't list it in the summary, it's registered in the "add asset" screen, and is listed there, but nothing about it registers in the formulas.  What's up TurboTax folks??? This needs an answer

Carl
Level 15

I haven't experienced this myself with my 2020 taxes. (I have three rentals) However, I have experienced it in past years. The solution that worked for me was to work through each individual asset one at a time,start to finish. I didn't change, enter, or delete anything. I just "worked it through". Upon completing the assets/depreciation section and clicking the DONE button, all the numbers showed up as expected on the summary screen then.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies