turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bigbunny101
Returning Member

class life asset depreciation for different items

Hello

I am looking for more information on class life asset depreciation for different assets.

A submersible well water pump is expected to last about 10-15 years. Why would I depreciate it over 27.5

Same for a wooden deck is expected to last 15 years

French drain or drainage system. 

Basement interior waterproofing with specialized cement.

Same for house windows and AC units which are definitely not going to last 27.5 years

The idea is to maybe qualify some of the items above for Special Bonus Depreciation which could be allowed for items with 20 years or less of life expectancy. 

IRS guidelines does not specify in detail for items above. If there is more experience please share.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

If this is for residential rental real estate, there is no question that the items you listed become a "permanent and physical part of" the property. Therefore it too gets classified as residential rental real estate and depreciated over 27.5 years.

Same for house windows and AC units which are definitely not going to last 27.5 years

Don't see why not. I've got two rentals that still have the original windows in them that were installed when the structure was build in 1972.  In fact, in one of them, they're the old manual hand crank type and all work just fine.

The central A/C in one was installed back in the 80's and still going strong. I think that's because I have all the A/C's in all three of my rentals serviced every year too, no matter what.

Now if you want to depreciate the equipment separately, then by all means you can. Just select "Other Asset Type" and go from there. But be ready for a potential tax reporting nightmare in the future when something goes wrong or you sell the property.

bigbunny101
Returning Member

Ok

Whats your opinion on considering the well water pump as an appliance. In any case its lifespan will not go beyond 15 years. 

As you are finding out, the IRS dictates the "Recovery Period" (number of years to depreciate) based on the asset, and it doesn't matter if you expect it to last that long or not.  You are stuck with those amounts.

Yes, the well pump would qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance.  I'm not sure if it would be considered part of the well itself (a "Land Improvement", depreciated over 15 years) or considered a separate appliance/tool/machine (probably depreciated over 7 years).  But either way it would qualify for the Special Depreciation Allowance

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies