greendesigner

Claim mom as dependent? 70% living expenses for 5 months. Paid 100% of out of pocket for private room at nursing home for 6 months. On Medicaid. Passed November.

I claimed her in past years as I paid 70% of all her out of pocket expenses for a number of years. She lived in independent living until moving to a nursing home. I paid for private room Medicaid paid for the rest. Only income she had was SS.

Rachel_W

First, I would like to express my condolences on the recent passing of your mother. 

In order to claim your Mother as a Dependent, all of these qualifications must be met:

• She is a citizen of the US 
  • She is related to you
  • She has taxable income of less than $4,150 during 2018
  • She is not claimed as a dependent by anyone else
  • She is not filing a joint return
  • You provided more than 1/2 of her support.  Since Medicaid paid for part of the private room, I suggest completing this IRS Worksheet to determine if you provided over 1/2 of her support: IRS Worksheet for Determining Support.

Rachel_W

• She is a citizen of the US 
  • She is related to you
  • She is not filing a joint return