Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jeremy2

I was in a work release jail run by the county the entire year of 2017. The Jail charge me rent of $200 a week while i was there. Can I claim this?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I was in a work release jail run by the county the entire year of 2017. The Jail charge me rent of $200 a week while i was there. Can I claim this?

No, this is considered room and board and is the same as paying your rent buying groceries (although it's not voluntary) the IRS does not give a deduction for it.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

4 Replies

No, this is considered room and board and is the same as paying your rent buying groceries (although it's not voluntary) the IRS does not give a deduction for it.  

jeremy2

Im not sure if that is correct though because it was voluntary... I could of not paid it. I just wouldn't have been allowed out to work.
jeremy2

Can't I file exempt if I'm in jail?

Generally to be in work release you are required to pay room and board or not participate in the program. It would still be considered personal living expense which is not deductible.  Even if it would be considered a legal expense, legal fees are not deductible.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies