Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I report a loss from a scam I got caught up in?

Although the money was transferred through cryptocurrency, there is no significant funds in the crypto wallet (maybe a total of $20). The crypto funds are transferred to 'the company' allowing me to perform the assigned tasks, then once completed the tasks I would withdraw to a crypto wallet, then sell it to deposit into my bank. I made two small deposits, then just started leaving the funds in the crypto wallet. THEN the scam started where my work account would go into a negative state (my trainer said this was an awesome thing) and all I need to do was deposit enough money to cover that deficit and I'd earn 3x the commission. Should have known then. Anyway, eventually that negative amount became excessive but I was so far in I had to try. I eventually got it completed but wasn't allowed to withdraw my funds because my creditability was damaged for taking too long. I could rectify that by paying $25,000. Hard stop for me. But I lost everything I put in. The account is still open but because I haven't paid a daily 'data retention fee' I'm sure the penalty will have increased if I wanted to entertain recovering the funds.  
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I report a loss from a scam I got caught up in?

Unfortunately there  is no deduction. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies