Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I deduct the costs of rent, utilities, furnishings for renting an apartment solely for my job (I own my primary residence 120 miles away & apt cost less than hotel)?

Originally rented the apt when on w2 contractor status for a temp staffing agency.  Contract was extended several times over a 7-month consecutive period.  Then, another w2 contractor temp staffing assignment for 3 months.  Finally, offered perm employment status on another job within same geographic area as temp assignment.  Originally compared the costs of extended stay hotel to total cost of renting & furnishing the apt, and the apt came out less expensive than hotel.  This housing expense was/is not reimbursed by either staffing agency or employer and overlaps more than one tax reporting year.  Permanent residence was too far away to drive every day to the office (~120 miles one way) for the temp assignments, and now for the perm job.  Work from home office on 2 days of work week for current perm job.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Can I deduct the costs of rent, utilities, furnishings for renting an apartment solely for my job (I own my primary residence 120 miles away & apt cost less than hotel)?

You cannot deduct these expenses.  The IRS considers the city where you work to be your Tax Home, not the city where you live.

You can deduct your home office if your employer does not provide an office or desk for you to perform your work duties.  

See this TurboTax article What is a Tax Home? for more information.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies