turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

wyblea

Can I deduct my annual credit card fees which are used almost exclusively for my work (non-reimbursed). I.e AmEx fee which is used due to rental car insurance coverage.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Can I deduct my annual credit card fees which are used almost exclusively for my work (non-reimbursed). I.e AmEx fee which is used due to rental car insurance coverage.

For a work credit card, fees that are incurred are deductible.  The question would be "did I get this credit card because of my business and do I use it for my business with little personal (or none for the IRS) use."  Per the IRS: To be deductible, a business expense must be both ordinary and necessary. An ordinary expense is one that is common and accepted in your trade or business. A necessary expense is one that is helpful and appropriate for your trade or business. This link has  some more Information.

Business expenses

wyblea

Does this same thing apply if I am an employee? In my case a professor who travels weekly. The credit cards are both "personal," meaning not a business card per se, but the entire reason that I have them is due to the business perks; meaning, that the AmEx is due to the rental car insurance coverage.

As an employee as long as necessary and are not  reimbursed These expenses are miscellaneous itemized deductions on schedule A.  These expenses must total more than 2% of your AGI  to start counting as deductible.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies