turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Buying a house with an adult child

I'm buying a house with one of my adult children.  It will be her primary residence and I will live elsewhere (I have my own primary residence).  All home costs (mortgage, taxes, insurance etc.) will be split 50/50 and the home will be titled to both of us as Tenants in Common.  Since she will be living in the home she'll be paying all utility costs, HOA fees, and make any minor repairs.  Anything major would be split 50/50.

I believe for my daughter's tax return I include one-half of any interest from the impound account as income and one-half of the mortgage interest and property tax as a deduction.  Can I simply include my portion of the interest received, interest paid and taxes paid on my return?  Or, must I treat my half as an investment property?  If so, what additional forms would I need to file?  Can this be accomplished with TurboTax Deluxe?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

it depends. You can claim your half of interest received, interest paid and taxes paid in my return on your return. This is not investment property and there are no additional forms to file.  This can be all accomplished in Turbo Tax Deluxe because it is treated like a personal residence.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Hal_Al
Level 15

You do not have investment property.  You have a 2nd home.  You may deduct mortgage interest on up to 2 homes. You may deduct real estate tax on any number of properties. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies