Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Bought stock in 2021 for 40K. Sold in 2023 for 37K. Imported 1099B stated 0 cost. Can I just manually enter 1099B with cost, and will IRS question the discrepancy?

Both paper and import from clearinghouse show zero cost. I have monthly statement from brokerage sale that shows cost of 40K as proof.  Does that need to be submitted somehow, or does IRS just take my word for it, differing from what the clearinghouse said (zero cost)?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Bought stock in 2021 for 40K. Sold in 2023 for 37K. Imported 1099B stated 0 cost. Can I just manually enter 1099B with cost, and will IRS question the discrepancy?

Enter your cost as shown on your statement.  You do not include that statement with your tax return.  Just make sure you keep all your paperwork in a safe place for easy recovery just in case the IRS ever questions the sale.

For non-covered securities ( BOX B or E) showing zero (wrong) basis, enter the correct basis yourself.
Use code "B" and put -0- in col (g).

For Box A or D, leave basis as reported, use Code "B" and put an adjustment in col(g)

@taxpayer2301 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies