turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Are Long Term Capital Gains Taxes based on the first holding date of purchase even if other purchases were made throughout the year?

I'm going to use an easy example to get at my question. Let's say I purchased $100 of a stock on January 1, 2016 (not in a tax-sheltered account, in a regular brokerage account). I used the dollar-cost averaging approach so I purchased another $100 of that same stock in February, March, April...all the way to December 1. 

By December 1 I bought $1200 of this stock. Due to returns, the value has increased to $1500. Now I want to sell it, but I want to wait until it will be a long-term capital gains tax, not a short-term capital gains tax. 

If I sold total $1500 on January 2, 2017 would that be subject to long-term capital gains for the entire $1500? Or would it be long-term capital gains on the first $100 I bought on January 1 (plus whatever return I made on that $100) and short-term capital gains on the remaining $1100 (plus whatever return I made on that $1100) that I bought in less than one year?

Thank you in advance for your help on this!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Are Long Term Capital Gains Taxes based on the first holding date of purchase even if other purchases were made throughout the year?

The holding period is determined on a lot-by-lot basis.  In your example only the first purchase would be long term.

Tom Young

View solution in original post

3 Replies

If you purchased after 2011, your broker will break it out for you. Just report what is on your consolidated 1099-B.

you can sell the part bought more than a year ago. That would entail more commissions to unload it all. FIFO is the default accounting.

The holding period is determined on a lot-by-lot basis.  In your example only the first purchase would be long term.

Tom Young

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies