Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Appliance expenses

My wife owns an out of state rental property that she bought in May 2022.  We needed a new washer/dryer and a refrigerator for the rental property. My father-in-law who lives in the same state as the rental property paid for all these 3 appliances. My father-in-law doesn't own the property. We bought the appliances and put them to use in 2022 after the property was rented on July 1st. Can we deduct the expense of the appliances on our taxes?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Appliance expenses

Those are Assets for the property that have to be depreciated.

Carl
Level 15

Appliance expenses

Those are Assets for the property that have to be depreciated.

That's only one option. If the cost was less than $2,500 then you have the option to just expense them under the Safe Harbor di-Minimus rules. I myself would go that route so I don't have to deal with the headaches of depreciation recapture when I sell the property, or the remaining depreciation when the next tenant destroys those assets.

Appliance expenses

@Carl wrote:

If the cost was less than $2,500 then you have the option to just expense them under the Safe Harbor di-Minimus rules. I myself would go that route so I don't have to deal with the headaches of depreciation recapture.......

I agree that would be the route to take but there would be "recapture" in the sense that the asset being expensed has a basis of zero ($0). If sold at a later date, any gain on the sale would have to be reported as ordinary income and taxed at ordinary income tax rates (and, unlike unrecaptured Section 1250 gain, there is no 25% cap).

Appliance expenses

If I expense these items do they each have to be <2,500 or the total has to be <2,500 for me to expense them out.

Appliance expenses

It is $2,500 or less per invoice.

EDIT: See later posts (or per item as substantiated by the invoice).

Appliance expenses

My invoice is >2,500 for both washer/dryer being on the same invoice. I guess I would have to depreciate them :(

Appliance expenses

For appliances, you can most likely get the vendor to separate them (i.e., put them on separate invoices).

EDIT: See later posts.

Carl
Level 15

Appliance expenses

If the cost of those appliances is broken out separately on the purchase receipt and the cost of each individually is under $2,500, then you can expense them with no problem. If the vendor that sold you the appliances didn't break it down like that, it shouldn't be a problem to ask them to do that.

Appliance expenses

It's $2,500 per item plus any applicable fees.

Appliance expenses

@binkyscave wrote:

It's $2,500 per item plus any applicable fees.

That is actually correct; $2,500 per invoice or per item as substantiated by the invoice.

Treas. Reg.  §1.263(a)-1(f)(i)(ii)

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies