Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Who owes tax on HH Bonds where the primary person on the bond has died?

my wife was named on some HH bonds with her mom who passed away. The bonds show a carried interest amount. When those were cashed after the moms death, does the tax on the interest get paid by the estate or my wife. The bonds were registered as "mom" or "daughter", with the mom's ssn on them". Also, I don't have any idea what the cost basis would have been"
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
RayW1

ANSWER

Assuming there is no trust, the interest is taxable to the recipient.  Prior to your mother-in-law passing, the tax was hers.  After that point, your wife owes the income tax. 

If a trust was created the income would pass through to the beneficiaries at TOD.  

Series HH bonds are only sold and redeemed at par.  There is no capital gain or loss.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
RayW1

ANSWER

Assuming there is no trust, the interest is taxable to the recipient.  Prior to your mother-in-law passing, the tax was hers.  After that point, your wife owes the income tax. 

If a trust was created the income would pass through to the beneficiaries at TOD.  

Series HH bonds are only sold and redeemed at par.  There is no capital gain or loss.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies