Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amended return 2021, how long to wait for...

I will be mailing my 2021 just amended return today to IRS. How long will take for confirmation of acceptance? (or rejection)?

Reason for amend was I failed to take rental condo HOA assessment costs (total 3000.48) TT Says I have now have a refund of 609 from Fed.

Question, am I allowed to take this same deduction on my 2022 return (now in progress, not filed yet) or does one have to wait until IRS accepts amended? If I do have to wait (over one month) then it looks like I will have to file 2022 without taking this deduction and will have to amend  the 2022 in the same exact way! This is crazy!

Should I take a chance and take it? What could happen?

Thank you all,

StevenF

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Even during “normal” times it takes about four months for the IRS to process an amended return.  During the pandemic and due to the severe backlog at the IRS it is taking much longer—six to nine  months or more for many amended returns.  Do not expect quick results from amending. 

You can watch for information here:

https://www.irs.gov/Filing/Individuals/Amended-Returns-(Form-1040-X)/Wheres-My-Amended-Return-1

Each tax year is separate.  You do not have to wait for the IRS to process your amended 2021 return in order to file your 2022 return.   If you made a mistake on 2022, you should wait for them to process the original 2022 return before you amend 2022.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
DianeW777
Expert Alumni

It takes time.  The IRS has been extremely slow since COVID so I wouldn't expect to hear anything for several months.  There will be no acceptance, rejection or confirmation from them so for this reason I recommend you send it Priority Mail at the USPS to at least have a confirmation receipt to know it was delivered.

No. You do not have to wait to file your 2022 tax return and if you rent your condo all year the HOA fees can be deducted. There is no reason for concern or question about whether the fees are deductible as long as your condo is rented at fair rental value and has been available for rent, advertised as such, if at any time, it was vacant. This answer assumes no personal use has taken place.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Maybe I can re word Question. I amended because of failure to take significant deduction. Would like to take same deduction this year. Any problem with that?

Thanks,

StevenF. 

Thank you Diane, this is great news that I can take the deduction this year. Thanks for the mailing info. Will do exactly as you say!

TurboTax Community Forum and their expert people ARE GREAT!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies