Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Am I responsible for issuing a 1099 for the fees I paid to the Property Manager of my rental property, if they sent me a 1099-MISC with the gross rental income reported?

Thanks for your response.

I assume you mean 1099-NEC, not 1095.

It's really difficult to find a clear answer if a 1099-NEC needs to be filed for property management fees paid to a property manager. On his W-9 the manager selected tax classification "Individual/sole proprietor or single-member LLC". 

Is that sufficient to conclude that I don't need to file a 1099-NEC?

The handling of rental income and expenses in TurboTax is clear to me, I have done that in the past.

Thanks.

DaveF1006
Expert Alumni

Am I responsible for issuing a 1099 for the fees I paid to the Property Manager of my rental property, if they sent me a 1099-MISC with the gross rental income reported?

In reviewing IRS rules, you would issue a 1099 NEC if you paid more than $600 to an independent contractor if you have a business and registered as a business that requires a Schedule C filing. If you report on Schedule E, then you do not have a 1099 NEC reporting requirement.

This does not mean you are prevented from filing a 1099 NEC.  For an example, it is suggested that you issue a 1099 NEC so that you may qualify for the QBI deduction on your tax return. This Turbo Tax article gives an explanation that you may qualify for QBI if  "you’re a real estate professional for tax purposes (that is, over 50% of the personal services you performed in business during the tax year were in a real estate business you materially participated in for more than 750 hours that same year) then your rental income qualifies for the QBI deduction".  You do not need to file a business tax return to qualify for QBI in this instance.

To summarize, you do not need to file a 1099 NEC but you are not prevented from doing so.  The W9 by the a management company get your correct name and TIN and assumed you operate a business. It may be a good idea to file a 1099 NEC but you are not required to do so.

Yes, I erred in my previous post. I did mean a 1099 NEC and not a 1095. I apologize for that mistake.

@alvazi2 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Hi @DaveF1006, Thanks a lot for your detailed answer!

In my case I paid more than $600, do not have a business, and report on Schedule E. So from your answer I am concluding that I don't need to file a 1099-NEC, but can choose to do so.

If I may ask then about TurboTax Premier (online): I looked at the description how I could file such a 1099-NEC and tried it out (without saving), but it requires me to set up a record for me as a business (it has the option of using my SSN for that). So for now I gave up on that as I'm not sure if that is the right way to do it. 

I did find other online options, but if TurboTax could handle this for me, I would prefer that.

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you can create/e-file/print Forms 1099-NEC using TurboTax Quick Employer Forms.  You pay for that product by adding it to your TurboTax account through that link.  You would use you social security number as a tax ID on the forms. 

For rental property owners using Schedule E as stated by @DaveF1006 you do not have to file forms 1099 typically as those properties are typically treated as investments.  However, if you are electing to take the 20% qualifying business income deduction from your rental income, you are considering your rental, a business, and therefore would have a requirement to file 1099's if you paid $600 or more to a business entity.        

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies