Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

joeyu21

I am 1099-B section 1256 contracts and straddle. what does mixed straddle election, straddle by straddle identification election, and mixed straddle account election?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
LisaBr

I am 1099-B section 1256 contracts and straddle. what does mixed straddle election, straddle by straddle identification election, and mixed straddle account election?

All these elections are anticipated prior to trading straddles.  They are part of the rules for setting capital gains and losses under the mark-to market rules.  If none of these elections applies to your trading, you can continue without making an election.

Mixed straddle is any straddle that has at least one but not all of the straddles is a 1256 contract.  On the day of the first contract, it must be identified as a mixed straddle.  Once election is made it cannot be revoked without IRS consent.

Straddle by straddle identification election is when positions that are held the day before this election are sold for fair market value on the last day business day before the election.  This is reporting gain or loss as if mixed straddle had not been established.

Mixed straddle account election is to establish one or more mixed straddle accounts for 2018 by the due date of your 2017 tax return.

I've attached the instructions under the form to give you more detail on these elections and others:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6781.pdf

[Edited:  03.04.2018  6:19 PM EST]

View solution in original post

1 Reply
LisaBr

All these elections are anticipated prior to trading straddles.  They are part of the rules for setting capital gains and losses under the mark-to market rules.  If none of these elections applies to your trading, you can continue without making an election.

Mixed straddle is any straddle that has at least one but not all of the straddles is a 1256 contract.  On the day of the first contract, it must be identified as a mixed straddle.  Once election is made it cannot be revoked without IRS consent.

Straddle by straddle identification election is when positions that are held the day before this election are sold for fair market value on the last day business day before the election.  This is reporting gain or loss as if mixed straddle had not been established.

Mixed straddle account election is to establish one or more mixed straddle accounts for 2018 by the due date of your 2017 tax return.

I've attached the instructions under the form to give you more detail on these elections and others:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f6781.pdf

[Edited:  03.04.2018  6:19 PM EST]

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies