turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Accrued interest adjustment in TurboTax needs fixing

TurboTax has an issue with its 1040 tax program that should be addressed. When one imports 1099-INT forms that have both taxable and tax exempt income and then makes an adjustment for accrued interest, the program allocates the adjustment to both taxable and tax exempt income on pro rata basis. This is going to give an inaccurate result. The program should allow for the entry of separate adjustments for taxable and tax exempt accrued interest. To address the issue now, one has to have a Form 1099-INT for taxable interest with its accrued interest adjustment and one for tax exempt interest with its adjustment. However, most taxpayers would likely be unaware of the necessity to do so.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Accrued interest adjustment in TurboTax needs fixing

@markfromAustin 

Correct, that's how you have to deal with it.

It would be great if the TTX software staff would include three separate selections on the follow-up page, for accrued interest paid to the seller.  One for box 1 $$ (when Corporate bonds & brokerage CDs are involved), one for box 3$$ (Treasury Bonds/Notes), one for box 8 $$ (Muni Bonds).   Then we wouldn't have to mess with it, and the software wouldn't be mis-assigning for folks who don't realize what's happening.

But I'm not sure how to get this implemented...i.e. what software manager needs to get poked to see it's a real problem (for some of us).

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies