Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099-B does mot match fidelity import

Hello Turbo Tax Community! 

I have used TurboTax over many many years in the past and never encountered this issues and I am really hoping someone can give me some guidance here. 

I successfully imported my 1099-B from Fidelity into TurboTax. However, some imported transactions do not "match" what I am seeing on my actual 1099-B form that was also mailed to me from Fidelity. For example: 

On my mailed 1099-B form under short term transactions for which basis is NOT reported to the IRS, I see one transaction that outlines that I sold 2755 shares on a specific date for a specific amount of proceeds. (Happy to share any screenshot etc. if helpful). However, on the imported transactions, I do not see this sale. Instead of one transaction that shows the sale of 2755 shares, TurboTax splits this into multiple transactions with smaller shares sold values. I hope this makes sense. Now, if I add all the individual imported transactions, they do all add up to the correct amount of 2755 shares sold, however, again, this information is different from what I am seeing on the mailed 1099-B. I am only seeing one transaction on my mailed 1099-B Form. 

Could anyone give me some advise in terms of which path forward I should choose? I narrowed this down to the following: 

- Leave the import as is as the final amount in terms of shares sold does match what I see on mailed 1099-B if I I add up all the individual imported transactions. 

- Delete the imported transactions in question in TurboTax and manually add the one I see on the mailed 1099-B statement.

I am really trying to figure out which one I should use as I am trying to avoid my return being rejected in case certain information does not match what the IRS "sees" on their end. 

Thank you for all your help! Truly appreciated! 

Best,
Florian

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
MarilynG1
Expert Alumni

Your Efile will not be rejected for this mis-match between imported 1099-B transactions and the PDF copy of your 1099-B.

You could Edit the imported data to match what's on your hard copy (which is what the IRS receives), or leave it as is, since the totals are correct. 

Are there different Cost Basis amounts on the broken down sales?  Perhaps your broker has some thoughts on this.

Here's more info on How to Update or Delete Imported Data

You also have the option to enter a Summary In Lieu of Individual Transactions. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much Marilyn! Truly appreciate the quick response! 

Looking at the supplemental information sent by Fidelity, it does look like there is a different cost basis and I actually do see the individual transactions in question listed on the supplemental information from Fidelity. Looks like TurboTax does import according to what is listed on the supplemental information. 

I guess I am still confused about this a little bit as there is now a "miss-match" between what is on the 1099-B printout under the summary section (which the IRS receives) and what's listed on the supplemental section - however it sounds like this is not a concern as the overall amount of shares sold matches? I am inclined to leave as TurboTax imported this from Fidelity. 

Thanks, 
Florian

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies