Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JoeS
Level 1

tax deductions using HELOC in 2019

If I use my HELOC to finance the installation of Solar panels for my home, will it be tax deductable in 2019?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, enacted Dec. 22, suspends from 2018 until 2026 the deduction for interest paid on home equity loans and lines of credit, unless they are used to buy, build or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan.  If the HELOC is secured by your main home or second home and is being used to make improvements to the home, such as installing solar panels, then the interest paid would be deductible as an itemized deduction.

IRS website for Home Equity Loan information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/interest-on-home-equity-loans-often-still-deductible-under-new-law

View solution in original post

1 Reply

The Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017, enacted Dec. 22, suspends from 2018 until 2026 the deduction for interest paid on home equity loans and lines of credit, unless they are used to buy, build or substantially improve the taxpayer’s home that secures the loan.  If the HELOC is secured by your main home or second home and is being used to make improvements to the home, such as installing solar panels, then the interest paid would be deductible as an itemized deduction.

IRS website for Home Equity Loan information - https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/interest-on-home-equity-loans-often-still-deductible-under-new-law

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies