Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I refinanced my home in 2020 and received some cash equity. I used some of it to pay off credit cards and $14,000.00 to repair the foundation of the home. I paid $1664.00 in origination charges; how do I express this on my Turbo tax

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AmyC
Expert Alumni

I refinanced my home in 2020 and received some cash equity. I used some of it to pay off credit cards and $14,000.00 to repair the foundation of the home. I paid $1664.00 in origination charges; how do I express this on my Turbo tax

Credit card debt divided by total debt equals the percent that will not qualify for deduction.

Repairing the foundation counts as that is important! The origination fees are going to be negligible.

Example:

$20,000 credit cards / $200,000 loan =10% not allowed

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

and as the mortgage amortizes into the future, it's that $20,000 that gets paid off first, so a higher and higher percentage of the interest will be tax deductible into the future 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies