turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SA_home
Returning Member

how to correctly input two 1098s for a mortgage loan that was refinanced with same lender.

In March 2020, I refinanced my prior mortgage loan and did it with the same lender. The original loan had mortgage interest and the new loan does not have any mortgage interest. I have read that you are to combine section 1 from both 1098s, and section 10 from both 1098s. Since I had mortgage interest on the original loan do I input it only for this loan in turbotax or enter it on the new loan? Also, it is combining the outstanding mortgage principal of the two loans resulting in over $1 million when each loan was only around $550k. Since I have the lender listed twice for receiving 1098s, I don't know which one is to contain zeros and which one is to contain the combined amounts. Can someone please walk me through it clearer?

Here are the specifics:

original loan: section 1 $6457.59, section 2 $545940.49, section 3 mortgage origination date 1/25/19, section 5 $1427.58, section 6 zero, 7 box is not marked, section 10 $4541.28, section 11 blank

New loan: section 1 $15276.72, section 2 $555000, section 3 3/6/20, sections 4, 5,and 6 are zero, section 7 box is marked, section 10 $4863.72, section 11 is blank

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies