Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Whole new tax issues for us

My husband passed away this year.  I will be receiving half of his pension, his social security until I am eligible and I work part time - how do I fill out W-2's for these?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Cindy4
Employee Tax Expert

My condolences to you!

Much of what you will want to consider revolves around the actual dollar amounts you are receiving.

How much you are earning, how much you are drawing on his pension, and how much you are drawing on his social security.

Here is a TurboTax tool for estimating withholding.  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/w4/

Once you determine the entire amount needed to be withheld, you can decide if you want to have it all withheld from one source or distribute the withholding among the three sources.

I’m assuming you have no dependents, so for this year you will still be able to file as married filing jointly and receive the entire amount of the standard deduction.  This amount depends on your ages and can be found here:  https://blog.turbotax.intuit.com/breaking-news/irs-announced-significant-inflation-adjustments-for-t...

After reducing your taxable income by the standard deduction, you will then want to consider these tax brackets to determine how much you want to have withheld.

Hope this helps!

Cindy

**Please say "Thanks" by clicking the thumbs up icon in a post
***Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on the "Mark as Best Answer"

Sorry for your loss.  My husband died last year.  This year for 2024 you can still file a Joint return.  Then for  the next two years following a husband's or wife's death, the surviving spouse can file as a qualifying widow or widower if you have a qualifying child. That basically lets you continue to use the same tax brackets that apply to married-filing-jointly returns.  After the year of death if you don't have a child you file as Single.

Then to file Single you should start over and set up a new account for yourself and not transfer from last year.  You will have to re enter any prior carryovers and depreciation, etc. manually.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies