Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spouse of a veteran

If my veteran spouse passes do I have any benefits? Other than military health benefits? My spouse did not take the option of giving part of his retirement. Do I have any other benefits available to me?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

10 Replies

Spouse of a veteran

Maybe----is/was your spouse a war veteran?   There is a survivor benefit for spouses of war veterans who have serious health issues.  It is called Aid and Attendance.  

https://www.va.gov/pension/aid-attendance-housebound/

Information about survivor benefits for  members of the military:

https://www.va.gov/pension/survivors-pension/

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Spouse of a veteran

No he didn't have injuries. So I have no spouse benefits?

EleanoreS
Employee Tax Expert

Spouse of a veteran

If your veteran spouse passes,  there are a number of benefits you may be entitled to.  Some examples are disability income, education and training.

Here is a link to the VA’s website that has a lot of great information regarding VA benefits for spouses, dependents and survivors. 

Thank  you for joining us at the Ask the Expert event today!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Spouse of a veteran

@Sedutra

"No, he didn't's have injuries."

Being injured is not a requirement for some of the veteran benefits.   Click the links that were provided to you and read about some of the benefits that could be available to your spouse who is a veteran or to you as a surviving spouse.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Spouse of a veteran

I am the one that has issues. PTSD, nightmares, seizures, physical issues...which is why I am going through disability claims. However I am not the veteran but the spouse.

Spouse of a veteran

We understand that you are the spouse.   Again....there are VA benefits available to certain surviving spouses of veterans.

EleanoreS
Employee Tax Expert

Spouse of a veteran

I am sorry you are facing these difficult issues.  The VA does appear to provide benefits for spouses even if the Veteran is still alive.  I would suggest reaching out to a Veteran's Benefits Center to make an appointment to review what options are available to you.  I wish you the best and hope that they are able to provide you with assistance.

Thank  you for joining us at the Ask the Expert event today!

Spouse of a veteran

Can I access this information once I close out of this forum?

Spouse of a veteran

You could click on those links even while you are still in the forum, and bookmark the links to get to them again later.    But if you ever want to return to your questions and the replies, you can click on your own username to bring up a screen that shows all of your questions and the replies you received.

EleanoreS
Employee Tax Expert

Spouse of a veteran

Everyone’s answers will stay in this thread along with your questions.  You can access the links at any time.  Alternatively, you can click on the links now and save them as bookmarks on your computer or mobile device.  

Thank you for joining us at the Ask the Expert event today!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies