Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Attend our Ask the Experts event about Extension Filers on Sept 25! >> RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

LisaHorn
Returning Member

Self employed quarterly tax payments

When filing my tax return last year I received 4 Form 1040-ES forms to make quarterly payments in advance for 2024. I missed the first two on 4/15 and 6/17. The next one is due on 9/16. If I pay and file all 3 of those forms now and make the 4th payment on time, can I avoid penalty fees when I file my 2024 return?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

For estimated tax purposes, a year has four payment periods.  Taxpayers must make a payment each quarter. The payments are generally April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15 of the following year.  If these dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day.

Generally, an underpayment penalty can be avoided if you use the safe harbor rule for payments described below. The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if:

• You pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year, or
  • You owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits

This rule is altered slightly for high-income taxpayers. If the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your previous year’s return is over $150,000 (over $75,000 if you are married filing separately), you must pay the lower of 90% of the tax shown on the current year’s return or 110% of the tax shown on the return for the previous year.

For estimated tax purposes, the year is divided into four payment periods. Each period has a specific payment due date. If you don't pay enough tax by the due date of each of the payment periods, you may be charged a penalty even if you are due a refund when you file your income tax return.  That rate is currently 8%.  

While there is no way to determine if you will not have a penalty, you do want to make the first, second and third payments on or before September 16, 2024.  This will mitigate any potential penalty that you may incur.   

Thank you so much for your question @LisaHorn   

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

For estimated tax purposes, a year has four payment periods.  Taxpayers must make a payment each quarter. The payments are generally April 15, June 15, September 15 and January 15 of the following year.  If these dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline is the next business day.

Generally, an underpayment penalty can be avoided if you use the safe harbor rule for payments described below. The IRS will not charge you an underpayment penalty if:

• You pay at least 90% of the tax you owe for the current year, or 100% of the tax you owed for the previous tax year, or
  • You owe less than $1,000 in tax after subtracting withholdings and credits

This rule is altered slightly for high-income taxpayers. If the Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) on your previous year’s return is over $150,000 (over $75,000 if you are married filing separately), you must pay the lower of 90% of the tax shown on the current year’s return or 110% of the tax shown on the return for the previous year.

For estimated tax purposes, the year is divided into four payment periods. Each period has a specific payment due date. If you don't pay enough tax by the due date of each of the payment periods, you may be charged a penalty even if you are due a refund when you file your income tax return.  That rate is currently 8%.  

While there is no way to determine if you will not have a penalty, you do want to make the first, second and third payments on or before September 16, 2024.  This will mitigate any potential penalty that you may incur.   

Thank you so much for your question @LisaHorn   

Be well and safe!

Marc T.

Turbo Tax Expert

27 Years of Experience Helping Clients

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies