Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Sale of primary residence

I previously purchased a home and used it as my primary residence for 4 years, then rented out for 5 years and returned to it and have lived in it as my primary residence for the last 6 years. I am thinking of selling it. What are the income tax consequences besides the recapture of depreciation? My previous depreciation deductions were at the 12% tax rate.

Is thereca difference in income tax consequences whether I sell the primary residence in 2025 or 2026?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
Loretta P
Employee Tax Expert

Sale of primary residence

Hello TheTiger6508,

From your description it sounds like you would meet the test of living in the home for 2 out of the last 5 years for the exclusion of gain on the sale of your primary residence.  You need to enter the sale as a Sale of A Home so that you will be able to apply the occupancy 2 out of the last 5 years exclusion.  While entering this information you will enter the time period it was used as a rental and enter an amount for the accumulated depreciation taken during the time it was used as a rental.   If you had an suspended passive activity losses, you will need to enter the suspended losses and ensure they get released to offset other income.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies