Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ArielA77
Returning Member

Roth IRA

This question is for my girlfriend. Does she have to file taxes if she earned much less than half of the standard deduction last year? She does have a Fidelity account and had some taxable gains from the stock market. But as I said she well under the standard deduction for earned income.

She also contributed to a Roth IRA with her money earned income from previous years.

Is it fine if she doesn't file this year? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

Roth IRA

I didn't see anything in your post that would require her to file a tax return for this tax year.  You should verify any other items in Table 1 and Table 3, Publication 501

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
ArielA77
Returning Member

Roth IRA

Thank you so much for your reply. 

So even though she had $3500 in stock market gains, which should ordinarily be taxable, it is fine if she doesn't file?

She is also worried because she didn't know that Roth IRA contributions are supposed to come from earned income from the same year. She contributed $6000 to the Roth IRA in 2023 from her savings she had accumulated in 2021. 

PatriciaV
Expert Alumni

Roth IRA

If you want to confirm this, you can start a free return in TurboTax Online and enter all the information for the activity you've listed. Then see what TurboTax says about any tax liability. Obviously, don't register or pay for the return unless you find that she does need to file.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Roth IRA

She can’t contribute to her IRA based on earned income from a prior year. She should withdraw that contribution. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies