Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retirement at 62

I have an appointment on July 16, 2024, to apply for SSI. Are my taxes based on my own income or that of my husband's income as well.  Should he pass would my taxes be adjusted to only based on my own SSI?  Plus any retirement income I have?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Retirement at 62

Do you mean Social Security benefits or ssi supplemental security income?  They are different.   If you file a Joint return all income for both of you is included.  If he passes then you are only taxed on your income after the year of death.

Up to 85% of Social Security becomes taxable when all your other income plus 1/2 your social security, reaches:

Married Filing Jointly: $32,000

Single or head of household: $25,000

Married Filing Separately: 0

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement at 62

Your adjusted gross income would include that of your husband's assuming that your filing status is Married Filing jointly.   If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits.  

If you are married and file a separate return, you probably will have to pay taxes on your benefits

So, the concept here is "combined income".   Combined Income is your adjusted gross income plus nontaxable interest and half of your Social Security benefits for the year.

• If your combined income is under $25,000 (single) or $32,000 (joint filing), there is no tax on your Social Security benefits.
  • For combined income between $25,000 and $34,000 (single) or $32,000 and $44,000 (joint filing), up to 50% of benefits can be taxed.
  • With combined income above $34,000 (single) or above $44,000 (joint filing), up to 85% of benefits can be taxed.

If your husband passes the single limits above would apply.  As you are going to be 62, I do hope that does not happen for some time.  

Thanks again for the question  @Sedutra 

All the best,

Marc 

Employee Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies