Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reporting excess Roth contribution earnings

I removed excess Roth contributions prior to filing my extension this year. I will not get the 1099R from Vanguard until 2025. Can I just wait and file an amended return next year or is there a way to declare this on my 2023 taxes? Someone mentioned creating a dummy 1099-R, but I am a little nervous about the information not matching next year's 1099. Thanks!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dev145
Employee Tax Expert

Hello shelleyfl59,

If  you are comfortable and know the excess and earning amounts, you can report by creating 1099-R. You can also report earning as other reportable income without going thru 1099-R only if you know the earning amount. If you are not sure, you can always wait and file amended return when you receive 1099-R next year. 

Thanks for participating in TurboTax's Ask the Expert event today. I hope this information was helpful!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
dev145
Employee Tax Expert

Hello shelleyfl59,

If  you are comfortable and know the excess and earning amounts, you can report by creating 1099-R. You can also report earning as other reportable income without going thru 1099-R only if you know the earning amount. If you are not sure, you can always wait and file amended return when you receive 1099-R next year. 

Thanks for participating in TurboTax's Ask the Expert event today. I hope this information was helpful!

Would I report this under Interest Income?

dev145
Employee Tax Expert

No, you will report this under Other Income. You will find other income section  under Wages and Income -> Less Common Income -> Miscellaneous Income.  You might have to click on "show all topics" to find other income section.

Regards,
TurboTax Expert

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies