Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Personal taxes - Single filer and unemployment related

Hi - 

Got laid off in March (3 months of work in FY24, fully employed in FY23 and before years). AT the present still looking for jobs. Usually filing single and claiming no exemptions so i get a refund every year after filing the fed and state (CA) taxes.

Q1. This year what tax breaks are available for unemployment - anything to reduce my taxable income??

Q2. What if I am unemployed for a longer period i.e. 3-6 months or greater than 6 months, how would those vary? 

Q3. If i get another job soon, then this year there will be 2 W-2 forms to file right?

Thanks,

Arun.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply

Personal taxes - Single filer and unemployment related

No, there are no specific tax breaks for being unemployed. 

Unemployment is taxable income on your federal tax return.  And there are some states that tax unemployment--so whether your state taxes it depends on the tax laws in your state.   You will receive a 1099G from the state which must be entered on your tax return.  Sometimes they mail it to you; more often you have to go to the state's unemployment website to get your 1099G.    CA does not tax unemployment.

Any other income you receive during the tax year must also be entered on your tax return, whether that income is on a W-2 or some other tax document.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies