Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Non-Monetary Compensation for Disabled Spouse within my Business

My spouse is disabled, on Social Security and unable to work a standard job consistently. However, she plays a crucial role as my strategic advisor my business. Currently, the business is an LLC, but I am thinking of becoming an S-Corp and possibly making her an officer. Are there options such as this, to provide a non-monetary form of compensation for her role within the organization, that would not impact or impede her disability status with Social Security.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
LindaSh
Employee Tax Expert

Non-Monetary Compensation for Disabled Spouse within my Business

Compensation which is paid to individuals for services rendered must be reported as income by the recipient and as a deduction by the company.  If the employee is disabled, there may be some tax benefits to the company for hiring those with disabilities.  Here is a link an IRS publication about this:  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/small-businesses-self-employed/tax-benefits-for-businesses-who-have-e...

If the employee is receiving SSI or SSDI, they may be able to receive income without reducing their benefits.  The benefit amount they receive may be reduced by the amount they earn on their job.  For 2024, you can continue to receive SSDI benefits until you earn over $1,550 a month.  Continuing to be able to receive SSI benefits is dependent on the rules of the state paying the SSI benefits.  

Here is a link to Social Administration publication "Working While Disabled: How We Can Help":  https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10095.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies