Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

no tax refund even though head of household with a dependent and no income but paid property taxes

I got minimal refund in state and virtually nothing for state income tax refund. Is that right? I paid a lot of property taxes but have no income, HOH with a dependent.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
CatinaT1
Expert Alumni

no tax refund even though head of household with a dependent and no income but paid property taxes

It's hard to say without more information. What state? You say you have no income, if that is accurate you wouldn't qualify as head of household. Head of Household is for people who have a qualifying child and pay more than half the cost of keeping up the home. Most credits require you to have income.

Why did my refund go down compared to last year's?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Federal gave 7$ refund and CA state gave about 1k but I paid so much more in property taxes. I have been keeping up all the financial responsibilities for my dependent but without any type of w-2 or 1099 income. My family helps us out a lot for meantime but they aren't filing 1099's for the support or rent fogiveness for meantime or anything. So idk why I got so small refund.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Property taxes are an itemized deduction.   Those deductions help to reduce your tax bill.   But since you had no income, you had no tax bill to reduce.  In your case, you paid no taxes and had no tax bill, so there is nothing to refund.   You need earned income to receive any refundable tax credits like the Additional Child Tax Credit or Earned Income Credit.   Both of those credits require some earned income be reported.   

To maximize those credits, you need to have w-2 income or self-employment reported on your tax return.   What is earned income?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies