Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

JJ478

new job w4, divorce pending

I'm starting a new job soon and will fill out a new W4. I'm married, but in the process of a divorce. It should be finalized after I start my new job. Can I fill out the W4 as "single"?  

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Yes---you can fill out your W-4 as Single---Your W-4 does not dictate how you have to file your tax return for 2024.  That W-4 only goes to your employer to tell them how much tax to withhold from your paychecks.  It does not go to the IRS at all.   When you file you tax return, if your divorce is final by the end of 2024, then you will file Single for 2024.   Or.....if you are the custodial parent of the children you might be able to file as Head of Household.  You have not mentioned if there are children.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

3 Replies
marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Thank you for the question.   Best of luck adjusting to your new normal.  I have been through it and you will get through it. 

Assuming the divorce is finalized in 2024, and you start the job in 2024, filing as single would be the most prudent course of action. 

Be well and safe @JJ478 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes---you can fill out your W-4 as Single---Your W-4 does not dictate how you have to file your tax return for 2024.  That W-4 only goes to your employer to tell them how much tax to withhold from your paychecks.  It does not go to the IRS at all.   When you file you tax return, if your divorce is final by the end of 2024, then you will file Single for 2024.   Or.....if you are the custodial parent of the children you might be able to file as Head of Household.  You have not mentioned if there are children.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

Per the IRS:
"A taxpayer's filing status typically depends on whether they are considered unmarried or married on December 31, which determines their filing status for that entire year. More than one filing status may apply in certain situations"
How a taxpayer’s filing status affects their tax return 

Thus it will be wise to anticipate possible situations where you will end up owing taxes as in the case of changing filing status.

You can adjust your W-4 any time of the year including adjusting your filing status for valid reasons. Also since you are making adjustments in the middle of the year, it may be the case that you may have to increase your withholdings to avoid underpayment of taxes penalty.

Underpayment Penalty 

** Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
** Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies