Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I take standard deduction. why did IRS reject home office deduction that was ok by Turbo tax ?

I take standard deductions. Turbo tax gave me a home office deduction, but IRS rejected it.  Why ? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

I take standard deduction. why did IRS reject home office deduction that was ok by Turbo tax ?

Where did you take the home office deduction?  Did you file Schedule C for self employment income?  You can not deduct home office if you are a W2 employee.  

JulieS
Expert Alumni

What do you mean by the IRS rejected it? 

Was your tax return rejected, or did you get an IRS letter?

Are you self-employed, or an employee?

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Yes I got IRS letter, and today the results - no credit for the turbo form employee home office work sheet. 

Yes IRS letter, review = results - 298$ less in refund. 

I followed Turbo directions.  They provided employee home office work sheet.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Because you received an IRS letter, you can get help with that. 

If you purchased Audit Defense for the return, follow this link to get help with your letter. 

If you didn't purchase Audit Defense, you can contact the Audit Support Center for help with your letter. Follow this link for more. 

The Tax Expert you reach will be able to help you review your return and understand the letter. If they believe the IRS is wrong, they can help you respond to the letter. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies