Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I added 1099-R after taxes were accepted and pending.

Is this considered an amendment and what will happen? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

Exactly what did you do to add the 1099R?  The only way to add it correctly would be to wait for the return to be accepted or rejected.  If it was rejected you could add the 1099R and re-file.  If the return was accepted, then you have to wait for it to be fully processed and prepare an amended return on Form 1040X to add the 1099R.   If you just went into the software while your e-file was still in "pending" the change you made went nowhere and may have messed up your return.  Remove it if you can.  

You have to amend by working from  the return exactly as it looked when originally e-filed.   

See this TurboTax support FAQ for amending a tax return - https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-return/amend-change-correct-return-a...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JulieS
Expert Alumni

No, if you didn't start by selecting Amend my return, you didn't do anything except change the file in TurboTax.

If you did start by selecting Amend my return and you followed the process all the way through to the end, you did amend your tax return. 

When you amend your tax return, the original and amended return are processed separately. If your original return shows a refund, you will still get that refund.

When you start your amended return, the refund goes to zero. This is based on the idea that the first return was processed and the refund was received, so now you are even with the IRS. 

If you see a refund after you complete your amended return, you will get that as a separate payment. If you see a balance due, you have to pay back that amount. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies