Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Husband makes a lot more than me

Hi I would like to know the best way to claim one or zero to get more money back per check. I make 20k a year, and my husband makes 120k a year. We don’t share any of it. We do files taxes together every year, but yes I don’t see any of that money either. I am waitress thanks 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
FranklinF
Employee Tax Expert

FIRSTLY, as a waitress you may or may not have at the end of the year an amount on BOX 8 of your W-2, namely ALLOCATED TIPS which are subject to Federal Income Taxes, Social Security, and Medicare.

SECONDLY, a Married Person can file as either MARRIED FILING JOINTY or MARRIED FILING SEPARATELY.

Per IRS:
"If you are married, you and your spouse can choose to file a joint return. If you file jointly, you both must include all your income, deductions, and credits on that return. You can file a joint return even if one of you had no income or deductions."   You may obtain more information by clicking on the following link:
Married Filing Jointly 

LASTLY, make appropriate adjustments to your W-4 ( you may use a tax calculator) taking into account the taxes you have estimated that you may owe, if applicable. You will need the following:

Thank you. But must have been a bot answering bc they didn’t answer my question.

You should probably  claim Single at work to have more withholding .  What you claim at work doesn't have to match your tax return.   That's only to tell  tell your employer how much to take out.   The more total combined income you make you pay a higher percent for tax.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies