Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jisooh123
Returning Member

Health insurance

Hello

I’ve filed 2023 tax return without health coverage because I thought I wasn’t covered in the year. However I got Form 1095 from my company and every month has been covered. I think I have to amend the 2023 tax return because I was paid for penalty because of no insurance which was not. Can you please guide me to start to prepare amend tax return?

thank you!

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Health insurance

If you received a Form 1095-B or a Form 1095-C those forms are not entered on a tax return.

Only if you received a Form 1095-A from the state Marketplace Exchange for your health insurance would you need to report that form on your tax return.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Health insurance

You don't enter 1095 forms from your employer.   If you receive a 1095-B or 1095-C, do not enter those on your tax return.  Keep them with your tax records.

The only form that gets entered is Form 1095-A.   There is no federal penalty for healthcare.   

What state return did you file?   You may need to update your information if you live in a state that penalized you for not having health insurance.  

How to amend a state return?  (only use this if your state penalized you).  Otherwise, you don't need to take any action.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Jisooh123
Returning Member

Health insurance

I got 1095-c and it said all 12 months were covered in 2023. But I filed as no insurance.. and it charged me around $300 per month (I don’t remember exact amount) 

It’s california state return

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Health insurance

Use the instructions in the link below to amend your CA state return.   You do not need to file a federal amendment, no penalty was charged there.   

When you do the CA amendment, you will tell TurboTax that you did have insurance and provide the information they require to remove the penalty and generate a refund.  

How to amend a CA state return? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies