Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Haven’t updated w4 to married

My husband and I got married in October of last year. We still don’t have kids and we still have the same one full time job. We both forgot to change our W4 at work and we’ve been putting it off since the calculator looks too complicated to use. How would this affect our taxes? Would we have to pay a penalty for not changing it to married? 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

No.  In fact i would leave it as Single.  What you claim at work doesn't have to match your tax return.  That's only to tell the employer how much taxes to take out so you dont end up owing too much on your tax return.  When i worked and married i always put Single at work to have more taken out.  

We have a progressive tax system.  The more total income you make combined, you pay a higher percent for tax.  And each job only takes out like it is your only job.  

SusanR2
Employee Tax Expert

Hi there and congratulations!  You will not be penalized for not updating your W-4 to married.  That form is submitted to your employer to tell them how much tax to withhold from your paycheck.   It is not a tax return in and of itself.  The reason you do want to update it, however, is at the end of the year when you file your tax return if you file Married Filing Jointly, there may not have been enough tax withheld since both of your incomes will be pooled together on one return.  Generally, there is more tax withheld for a Single status taxpayer than a Married tax payer, so that's good news for you guys but I would suggest that both of you update your forms and specifically, the one who earns more should carefully fill out Step 2 (as opposed to just checking Married and submitting it) so that enough tax is withheld since you both work.  Since we are about to enter June, even if you make the changes right away, you may very well owe something for 2024 but it will be correct for 2025.  Obviously, if there are any other changes before next year (ie additional income, getting a raise, etc.), you both should consider if one or both need to update the W-4 again, particularly the higher earner for Step 2 so that the correct amount is withheld.   Good luck!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies