Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

c09827
Returning Member

Graduate Student Stipend

I'm a graduate student receiving a monthly stipend. I used the 1040-ES form to estimate my taxes, but noticed that this form also assumes that it's "self-employed". I had been told that graduate student stipends are not "self-employed" so do I still need to pay the self-employed taxes? Or can I pay the estimated taxes of just the yearly income bracket I'm in?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Graduate Student Stipend

Estimated tax payments are not just for self employment taxes.  But for any income that doesn't have withholding taken out like interest and dividends.  

c09827
Returning Member

Graduate Student Stipend

I see. So for example, I learned that to calculate quarterly taxes you do income tax + self-employment taxes. So let's say I have ~10k for my AGI this quarter, and so my income tax would be ~12% of that for 2024. Then self-employment taxes are AGI*92.35%, then that number multiplied by 15.35%. 

In this case, income tax is about $1200 and self-employment tax is $141. 

As someone not self-employed (was told graduate students are given fellowships/scholarships which are not the same as self-employment), would I be filing $1200 or $1341?

See: https://pfforphds.com/weird-tax-situations-fellowship-recipients/

Graduate Student Stipend

No you don't pay the 15% self employment tax if you are not self employed.  Just the regular income tax on it.  So just the 1200.  But you first subtract the Standard Deduction  from the AGI to get your Taxable Income.  The Standard Deduction for Single is $14,600.  So you might not owe any tax at all.  

c09827
Returning Member

Graduate Student Stipend

How does standard deductions work for quarterly? since my income is ~40k a year but I'm calculating for just this quarter, do I even deduct?

DashonnonH
Employee Tax Expert

Graduate Student Stipend

Hi, there are two things to consider with Stipends:

1. Is the stipend taxable?

2. Is the stipend considered self-employment subject to self-employment taxes?

Taxable Stipend?

Stipends are taxable depending on what they are used for.  If the stipend is used for qualified education expenses, you would not have pay taxes on any amount used for those qualified education expenses. 

If the stipend is used to pay room and board or other expenses, then the stipend is taxable. 

Self-Employed?

If you received a stipend that is related to education, fellowship/internship, etc., and if it’s considered taxable income, then you will need to report it on your tax return as scholarships and grants. 

If your stipend is in conjunction to performing duties, such as clerical work, research, etc., then the payment is considered self-employment income, and this will need to be reported on a Schedule C instead.

The link below provides additional information

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/college-and-education/taxes-for-grads-do-scholarships-count-as-...

Thank you for joining us today!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies