Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

heavykev1

Getting a refund of overpaid taxes

I think I overpaid on my 2018 taxes. I had filed and then realized I had missed accounting for a 20k payment for managing an estate of a deceased relative. Refiled and paid the extra tax and penalty. Then I got a letter later saying I owed money, so I paid it (again). I meant to settle the dispute but it got away from me., or I thought they'd catch it on their own. Never did.  Is it too late to get a refund if  I can find my paperwork? 

Thanks

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Yes--you are too late to amend a 2018 tax return to get a better refund.  Sorry.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Well, there's two possible issues, and your question is not entirely clear.  If you paid the correct tax as shown on your return, then it is too late to amend, even if the return was wrong.

However, if you paid the same bill twice, that should not have happened.  The IRS should have applied your second payment toward the next year, or refunded it to you.   But, it might still be too late to prove the case and get the money back.  Start by getting your tax return and account transcripts and your payment history from 2018 forward.  See if the tax paid matches the returns that were filed, and see if all your payments are properly accounted for.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript

marctu
Employee Tax Expert

Well first I would request an account transcript for tax year 2018.  Go here: Get your tax record 

There are a few things going on here.  2018 is well beyond the three year statute of limitations. It is the later of:

• 3 years from the date you filed your federal income tax return, or
  • 2 years from the date you paid the tax.

The IRS though most of the time would have sent the money plus interest if you paid twice, which is why I think you should check the account transcript first.

Thanks again for the question  @heavykev1 

All the best,

Marc 

Employee Tax Expert

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies